Gratitude in Action - Volume 1
Dear GSO Contact:
Here is the first copy of the quarterly FA–GSO Twelve Step/Public Information newsletter. Please copy it for your literature tables. We hope the newsletter will inform and inspire you in carrying the message to the still suffering food addict. The newsletter will cover:
- FAQ’s (“frequently asked questions”) regarding Twelfth Step work and Public Information (PI) activities.
- The quarterly updated long distance sponsorship list.
- Brief quotes and sharing regarding Twelfth step and PI work.
- Highlights of GSO committee work.
In gratitude and service,
The GSO 12th Step and PI Committees
“The joy of living is the theme of AA’s Twelfth Step, and action is its key word. Here we turn outward toward our fellow alcoholics who are still in distress. Here we experience the kind of giving that asks no rewards… When the twelfth step is seen in its full implication, it is really talking about the kind of love that has no price tag on it. ”
–The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 106
Twelfth Step Committee FAQ’s
- What is the Twelfth Step Committee? The FA–General Service Office (FA– GSO) Twelfth Step Committee was formed to help carry the message of recovery to the FA fellowship. In practice, we spend most of our time in efforts to support newcomers in the program and helping new and outlying FA meetings.
- What kinds of things does the GSO Twelfth Step Committee do? In the past five years, we have brought meetings to FA members who are unable to get out of their homes, and recruited groups and individuals to attend and support new FA meetings. We have focused on helping newcomers in outlying areas find sponsors, and we have organized special holidays meetings, to help members on those days that are filled with family and food. Some of these holiday meetings were qual-a-thons, where FA members shared their stories and were recorded for FA tapes. (The GSO Literature Committee now handles recording new tapes and maintaining the FA tape library.)
- How is my intergroup’s Twelfth Step committee different from the GSO Twelfth Step Committee? Until the FA Business Conference/ Convention in 2002, the FA–GSO and the FA New England Intergroup (FA–NEI) were the same. Since they have separated, the GSO Twelfth Step Committee has focused more on becoming a resource for intergroups, meetings and individuals in FA who are carrying the message of recovery to newcomers and for members in areas where FA is new and not yet established. For example, an intergroup’s Twelfth Step Committee would organize a meeting at a housebound member’s home, and the GSO Twelfth Step Committee will focus on establishing guidelines for this type of service, helping the local intergroup to coordinate the meeting, and then through the newsletter give someone involved in this service an opportunity to share their experience with the rest of the fellowship, so that we all will benefit.
Highlights Of GSO Committee Activities Second And Third Quarters
Conference Committee (Adrienne C., Chair)
The third annual FA-GSO Business Conference will take place on April 23- 25, 2004 at the Center of New Hampshire Holiday Inn in Manchester, NH. Join hundreds of other recovering food addicts from around the world as we once again come together for a rewarding weekend of GSO business and FA fellowship. Keep your eyes peeled for registration materials available this month at your meetings.
The Connection Magazine Committee (David I., Chair)
The FA Connection became The Connection Magazine in August 2003. Subscription forms are available both in the magazine and from the GSO office. Subscriptions are $20.00 per year. We suggest that each meeting buy a subscription, and that members be encouraged to recycle old copies for newcomers.
Office Committee (Christine W., Chair)
The telephone/email list from the May 2003 Conference is complete and available by request from the FA–GSO.
PI Committee (Anne B., Chair) New PI work since the end of May has included developing a media response task force, developing a set of procedures for contacting professionals, streamlining processes for website maintenance including locating a professional webmaster and acting a resource for intergroup PI committees.
Chapter Liaison Committee (Cindi H. and Carol C., Chair)
A new committee has been formed to write a manual on how to form an FA chapter. The committee will be producing a user-friendly, comprehensive manual regarding the establishment and operation of FA chapters by the next GSO Business Conference in April 2004.
Literature Committee (Margaret H-C., Chair)
An expanded version of the FA pamphlet, “There Is A Solution”, will now have stories from four FA members who came into the program in their teens and twenties.
Twelfth Step Committee (Maggie M., Chair)
The Twelfth Step Committee has initiated a newsletter of service!