2008 Food Addicts Census
In 2008, FA embarked on its first FA Census since 2001. The goal of this project was to be able to provide demographic information to the public and thereby increase the credibility of the FA organization. FA has grown over 20% per year since its inception in 1998. This growth continues to provide evidence to all interested parties that FA is a viable solution for the deadly disease of food addiction.
The 2008 Census results are reported in the statistical charts that follow. Highlights of this data are:
- FA total worldwide membership is 3,636, in 2001 it was 958.
- 410 FA meetings are currently held worldwide; in 2001 there were 122.
- FA worldwide membership has grown at over 20% per year.
- FA meetings are held in 6 countries. In 2008, 93% of our members are in the US and 7% are in Australia, Canada, Germany, New Zealand or UK. In 2001 FA meetings were in 3 countries.
- In 2008, meetings are held in 34 US states; in 2001 FA was in 16 states.
- The average meeting size is 19 members.
- 54% of FA members attend 2 FA meetings per week, 14% attend less than 2 meetings per week, and 32% attend over 2 meetings per week.
- There are 70 “FA Loners” (members actively working the FA program who do not access an FA meeting).
Using the FA Census Data
The FA Census Data will be used in our efforts to carry the message to the still-suffering food addict and also to help us run the FA organization and conduct FA business more effectively.