Gratitude in Action - April 2014
What is Gratitude in Action?
Gratitude in Action is a newsletter published by the WSI 12th Step Committee of Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous (FA) to inspire you to get involved and do service so that you and others can be helped. We will bring you the latest FA worldwide information, remind you of tools and resources available within FA, and highlight upcoming FA worldwide events. Remember – “Service keeps us abstinent!”
Spring Forward Into Action
This edition of Gratitude in Action will focus on ways you can help grow and strengthen the FA fellowship through service. As Food Addicts, service is what keeps us abstinent and on-track. People often ask, “What can I be doing?” – especially those who live in remote areas. For those already immersed in doing service perhaps for you this is an opportunity to take an inventory of how you’re doing your service. It may be an opportunity to review best practices and get back to basics. To the individual, service can seem trivial and mundane, but to the whole of FA it is vital to the health and longevity of our fellowship. Service keeps us happy, sane, and abstinent – let us give back what we have so generously been given!
Taking an Inventory of the service positions you ARE doing:
Are you following best practices?
It’s not necessarily how much service you do, but the quality of service you do that really makes a difference.
- Here is a link to best practices listed on the FA website - http://www.foodaddicts.org/downloads/document7-servicepositions- descriptionofresponsibilities120819.pdf
- Questions to consider:
- Are you talking to newcomers or are you chatting with your buddies at your meetings?
- Are you making time to call people out on the frontier?
- Are you sharing for the newcomer at your meetings?
- Are you standing by the literature table at the break to help the newcomer?
- Are you getting to your meetings early to help set up and greet newcomers?
- On sponsee calls are you present, focused and listening or are you distracted?
This is, after all, why we are here – to help the newcomer.
Do you have feedback for Gratitude in Action?
Please email your comments to GIA@foodaddicts.org.